- Community Development
To provide solution oriented services to the community through the application of professional skills, adopted plans and standards which facilitate the growth of the local economy, enhance the quality of life and preserve the natural environment for current and future generations.
The Department of Community Development and Land Use consists of the following:
- Division of Engineering
- Environmental Commission
- Lake Restoration and Wildlife Management Committee
- Office of Sewer and Water Utilities
- Division of Land Use and Planning
- Code Enforcement
- Planning Board & Zoning Board
- Division of Uniform Construction Code (a.k.a. Building Department)
The department oversees the activities of each division which generally includes comprehensive reviews of the zoning codes, processing of land use applications, coordinating and enforcing code compliance, processing construction permits, managing the Capital Improvement Program, managing the townships visions in terms of its planning objectives and master plan goals, and managing all other duties related to zoning, land use, engineering, and construction.
Significant Changes to Minor Work and Ordinary Maintenance
The Township is now offering online application submittal through the Spatial Data Logic (SDL) Portal. You can login to an existing account or sign up for a new account at: https://www.sdlportal.com/. Signing up for this service also allows you to view limited information regarding properties within the Township including the status of recent permit applications.
Instructions to submit for the following items:
- Land Use Permits that do not require building permits. Instructions can be found here: https://www.twp.howell.nj.us/567/5829/SDL-Land-Use-Portal
* Land Use permit application submittal for all permits is coming soon.
- Letters of No Interest (Open Permit Search). Instructions for submittal can be found here: Instructions
- Construction Permit Inspections. Instructions for submitting requests for inspections can be found here: Construction Inspection Online Submittal Instructions
* If you have any issues using the portal to schedule inspections, please contact us directly at (732) 938-4500 ext. 2310 to schedule over the phone (M-F, 8:30a-4:30p). Thank you.
SDL Online Portal and SDL Citizen App
Please follow this LINK to Howell Township's online permit and construction information portal. A one time registration is required to log in to the online portal.
The Howell Township SDL Portal provides residents with direct access to real time information regarding their property. This real-time information is accessed directly from the Township’s Graphic Information System, GIS, which many departments use every day in managing activities within the Township.
The property page includes everything from basic tax lot and owner information to detailed data regarding current and Historical Permits, inspections and Property Data.
Residents can easily and quickly locate basic property information for single locations, or display town-wide data available from the Township’s GIS data inventory, with basic and custom map layers and overlays.
The Portal also includes and APP for Android and Apple devices called the "SDL Citizen" App. This App can be downloaded through Google's and Apple's official store App. Howell Township does not currently accept Online Permit applications. We do not accept complaints through the App, all complaints should be referred to Howell Township through the CivicPlus Request Tracker listed at this LINK.