Couples getting married in the state of New Jersey must apply for a marriage license at least 72 hours before the intended wedding date. Application is made in the municipality where either partner resides. You will need to know when and where your ceremony will take place and who will be the officiant. If applying in Howell, please bring the following with you:
- Proof of identity by presenting your driver’s license, passport or state/federal I.D.
- Proof of residency by one applicant if a NJ resident
- One witness who is 18 years old or older
- The name, phone number and mailing address of your officiant
- The marriage license is valid for 30 days from the date of issuance.
To speak to a Registrar, please call 732-938-4500 ext. 2150/2152
Helpful information regarding civil unions and domestic partnerships can be found on the State Vital Statistics website at: http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/registration-vital/