SDL Land Use Portal
Howell Township is excited to announce that you can now apply for select permits online. We are working on getting more applications available for submittal, but right now the following are available:
Land Use Applications: All land use/zoning applications that do not require other approvals (building department, engineering, etc) are available:
- Patio (at grade or having no more than 1 step)
- Tree Removal
- Sheds (Less than 200 SF in size)
- Portable Storage Containers (PODs)
- Temporary banners
- Temporary windflags
The following is an instruction manual on how to use the online system
- Go to: www.sdlportal.com
- Click on Create an Account and follow the instructions.
- To submit applications, the account must be verified before using the online features. Follow the instructions provided to verify your account using a phone number.
- Once logged on, under “Online Requests” select the application type.
Please see below for specific instructions based on the type of application being submitted:
For Zoning/Land Use Applications:
When logged into portal from the “Request” page, scroll down and select “Start a Zoning Application”
a: Select the work type. If your work type is not listed, please call us at 732-938-4500 ext. 2338 to discuss how to apply by mail or in person.
b: Under “Description of Work” provide a short statement on what is being proposed. Example:
i. Constructing a 10 x 10 shed
ii. Installing 6’ tall fence around back yard
iii. Proposing Portable Storage Container in driveway
c: Under “Additional Notes” please provide any information you wish us to review.
d: Under “Add the Property Location”, type in the property address or the block and lot number. If typing block and lot number only use numerical digits separating the block and lot with a single space between them. If the property is not found, use the map to navigate to the property and click on the lot
e: Fill out missing information under location and property owner sections
f: Scroll down to Zoning Application documents
g: Use the first “Upload Button” to submit a sketch and/or survey showing the proposed improvements. For example, a fence should be sketched on a survey showing the proposed location and a note should be added as to the height and type of fence. A shed or patio should also be sketched on the survey and the dimensions noted, plus the proposed setbacks (distances) to the property lines.
h:.Submit the Land Use form by selecting the “Add Form” button. A form for the work type will pop up. Fill in all the required information and select the “Submit Form” button.
i: Scroll down and review the appropriate information. When ready click “Submit Request”. A “Payment Required” screen will pop up – click ok and you will be redirected to submit payment.
.Once your information is submitted, you will receive a series of updates:
- You will receive a confirmation email that the application was successfully submitted and is on “payment” status.
- At this time our staff will begin reviewing the application. We will make sure you have submitted enough information for us to complete a technical review. If you have submitted the necessary information we will mark the application as “Accepted”. If we need anything further we will email you through the portal regarding what is missing.
- If the proposed work complies with the ordinance, a permit will be issued and emailed to you usually within 1-5 business days. The portal will be updated and you will receive an email with the permit attached.
- An automatic inspection will be scheduled in our system 3-5 months after the permit issuance date to inspect the work in order to close out the permit. You may not be required to be present during this inspection. Should you like to be present or need to make special arrangements, please contact our office.
If you do not hear from our office within one week of submitting an application please reach out to us at 732-938-4500 ext. 2338 as we may not have received notice that an application was submitted. We will usually accept the application within 1 business day and issue a formal decision within 5 business days.
a. For technical questions on setbacks or other zoning standards please refer to the Land Use Department Page FAQs
b. If you wish to review the ordinance please go to: Township Ordinance – Land Use Section