Howell Township is excited to announce that you can now apply for select permits online. We are working on getting more applications available for submittal, but right now the following are available:
Land Use Applications: All land use/zoning applications that do not require other approvals (building department, engineering, etc) are available:
- Patio (at grade or having no more than 1 step)
- Tree Removal
- Sheds (Less than 200 SF in size)
- Portable Storage Containers (PODs)
- Temporary banners
- Temporary windflags
- Landlord Registrations are available
- Rental Certificates (Coming Soon)
The following is an instruction manual on how to use the online system
- Go to: www.sdlportal.com
- Click on Create an Account and follow the instructions.
- To submit applications, the account must be verified before using the online features. Follow the instructions provided to verify your account using a phone number.
- Once logged on, under “Online Requests” select the application type.
Please see below for specific instructions based on the type of application being submitted:
For Zoning/Land Use Applications:
a: Select the work type. If your work type is not listed, please call us at 732-938-4500 ext. 2338 to discuss how to apply by mail or in person.
b: Under description of work provide a short statement on what is being proposed. Example:
i. Constructing a 10 x 10 shed
ii. Installing 6’ tall fence around back yard
iii. Proposing Portable Storage Container in driveway
c: Under “Additional Notes” please provide any information you wish us to review.
d: Click the green arrow at bottom right
e: Type in the property address or the block and lot number. If typing block and lot number only use numerical digits separating the block and lot with a single space between them. If the property is not, use the map to navigate to the property and click on the lot
f: Fill out missing information on Worksite and Owner tab
g: Click green arrow at bottom right
h: Follow this link to the Land Use Portal application form (also provided on Attachment step of application). This requires a few fields to be filled out for the setbacks or other important information. Also, attach a sketch or survey showing the improvements proposed. Both items must be attached.
i: Click the green arrow. Review information and submit request. You will receive a confirmation email.
Once your information is submitted, you will receive a series of updates:
- You will receive a confirmation email that the application was successfully “submitted”.
- Land Use office will review the documents and confirm that all necessary information has been provided. If so, we will send you an email that the application is “accepted”. This means the application is ready for technical review, but is not yet approved.
- A separate email with a link and instructions to complete payment will be sent almost immediately. Payment can be made at any time online using the link in the email. Payment must be completed before a permit can be released.
- If the proposed work meets the requirements of the ordinance a permit will be issued and sent via email.
From time of submittal we hope to send the link for payment within 1-2 hours during normal business hours. If the submittal is made when the office is closed we will send the request for payment on the next business day. Once payment is made we will be able to issue the permit. Total review time is usually 1-3 business days but may take up to 10 business days.
To check on the status of requests click on the “Requests” at the top of the page and then “My Requests” at the bottom. You can also contact us at 732-938-4500 ext. 2338 for a status update.
a. For technical questions on setbacks or other zoning standards please refer to the Land Use Department Page FAQs
b. If you wish to review the ordinance please go to: Township Ordinance – Land Use Section
For Landlord Registration:
a: Review list of documentation at top of page which may be necessary for submittal (same documents you would submit if applying via mail or in person). Link for application is provided at the attachment step of the application or follow this link to the SDL Portal Landlord Registration application form.
b: Make sure the box for new registration is checked. Even if you are renewing an existing registration, the online system will only recognize it as a new registration for this year.
c: Make sure “Landlord Registration” is selected.
d: Chose drop down for Property Type.
e: Add any notes you wish us to review (optional).
f: Search for your property via the address or using the map.
g: Fill in the missing information and continue to fill in all applicable fields for property owner, responsible agent and additional contacts.
h: Fill out Property Registration Certification and provide a digital signature.
i: Make sure all necessary documentation is attached including SDL Portal Landlord Application Form and LLC/Corporation Certificate from NJ Dep. Of Treasury (if applicable).
j: Review information and click “Submit Request”.
k: You will be automatically directed to the payment website where you will need to complete payment.
l: Once payment is submitted you will get a confirmation email of your submittal.
m: No further action is needed. If we need further documentation we will reach out. If you have provided everything we will email your Landlord Registration Certificate. Please allow anywhere from 1-5 business days for your certificate depending on the volume of submittals.
To check on the status of requests click on the “Requests” at the top of the page and then “My Requests” at the bottom. You can also contact us at 732-938-4500 ext. 2360 or 2335 for a status update.