Howell Township was recently named one of just four municipalities in New Jersey to earn Blue Star Certification from Sustainable New Jersey and Clean Ocean Action.
Thanks to work by the Township’s Green Team the recognition shows a continued effort to utilize sustainable practices, which are good for the environment and also maintaining a high quality of watershed water quality from a program, which was established in 2014.
There are five main goals of the program which include:
1. Improve and protect the economic and environmental future of the community
2. Reduce costs through green initiatives, while increasing municipal funds through enforcement
3. Promote healthy waters, resilient communities, and environmentally sound practices
4. Showcase communities as statewide role models through Clean Ocean Action media spotlights
5. Increase community pride and participation
Since its inception many municipalities have signed letters of intent to achieve the certification but only Howell, Galloway, Long Beach, and Wall Townships have received the recognition.
As part of the program the Township will hold Blue Star Award event at a later date, and will receive a plaque which will recognize the certification.