Does a fence replacement require a permit and what standards apply to fencing?

Yes, an application to the Land Use Office is required along with a survey reflecting the location of the fencing. Fencing within a front yard is permitted with a maximum height of 4’ and it must be 50% open (i.e. picket fencing).  Fencing in your side or rear yard is permitted to a maximum height of 6’ and can be solid/stockade.  For properties on corner lots please see Question #10.

For properties with swimming pools, a building permit is also needed.  Please contact the Building Department for additional requirements on fencing which is acting as a pool barrier.

Show All Answers

1. Application Requirements
2. Does a fence replacement require a permit and what standards apply to fencing?
3. Is a permit required for paver patio, concrete patio, sheds or retaining walls?
4. What is the required setback for a pool and how do I determine it?
5. What activities on residential properties require a permit?
6. What is the setback for decks and patios?
7. What activities on commercial properties require a permit?
8. What zone is my property in?
9. What uses are permitted in my zone?
10. What are the setbacks of my zone?
11. If my house is on a corner lot can I place my fence or shed in the side yard near the street?
12. What is the setback for an accessory structure (shed, pole barn)?
13. What is the setback for a retaining wall?
14. Can I run my business from my home?
15. How do I calculate impervious and building coverage?
16. Do I need a permit for tree removal?
17. Where can I find information about permitted signs on a commercial property?
18. Can I have a trailer on my property?
19. What is the cost of a permit?
20. How do I get a copy of my survey or permit documents?
21. How is height measured for sheds and other structures: