Does a fence replacement require a permit and what standards apply to fencing?

Yes, an application to the Land Use Office is required along with a survey reflecting the location of the fencing. Fencing within a front yard is permitted with a maximum height of 4’ and it must be 50% open (i.e. picket fencing).  Fencing in your side or rear yard is permitted to a maximum height of 6’ and can be solid/stockade.  For properties on corner lots please see Question #10.

For properties with swimming pools, a building permit is also needed.  Please contact the Building Department for additional requirements on fencing which is acting as a pool barrier.

Show All Answers

1. Does a fence replacement require a permit and what standards apply to fencing?
2. Is a permit required for paver patio, concrete patio, sheds or retaining walls?
3. What is the required setback for a pool and how do I determine it?
4. What activities on residential properties require a permit?
5. What activities on commercial properties require a permit?
6. What zone is my property in?
7. What uses are permitted in my zone?
8. What are the setbacks of my zone?
9. What is the setback for an accessory structure (shed, pole barn)?
10. If my house is on a corner lot can I place my fence or shed in the side yard near the street?
11. What is the setback for decks and patios?
12. What is the setback for a retaining wall?
13. Can I run my business from my home?
14. How do I calculate impervious and building coverage?
15. Do I need a permit for tree removal?
16. Where can I find information about permitted signs on a commercial property?
17. Can I have a trailer on my property?
18. What is the cost of a permit?
19. How do I get a copy of my survey or permit documents?
20. How is height measured for sheds and other structures: